The TR-909's clap featured one control the user could adjust: volume. That was not okay with us.
I'm a huge fan of house music. I love the 909 clap. So this is a module I agonised over features I wanted it to have for a long time. And here it is. I hope you find it as useful as I do!
Just like the other Mutant Drums, the Clap is a highly versatile module. It is actually a voltage controlled LFSR noise oscillator as well as a powerful percussion synthesis engine!
- Feature-rich, analogue handclap percussion synthesis reminiscent of the 909
- Pitch control of noise generator means you can create everything from vanilla 909 claps to broken, chiptune-like alien sounds
- Doubles as a voltage controlled, Commodore64-sounding noise VCO via the NOISE output and PITCH CV input
- SUSTAIN control lets you crank up the clap's sustain and use the module as an abstract synth voice with external inputs!
- External input allows you to synthesise claps from virtually any sound source you plug in
- Built in internal reverb effect derived from clap tone
- Reverb decay forms the decay of the clap sound, and is fully voltage controllable from short reverb "snaps" to long, whooshing tails!
- You can select between internal and external noise sources as the source for the reverb sound generation, opening up really interesting sounds
- DRIVE control lets you dial in anything from clean to extremely overdriven sounds
- Bandpass filter cutoff control
AUDIO AND VIDEO DATA
DIY PROJECT DATA
The Mutant Clap DIY project is available as a partial kit which includes the PCB set, 13HP eurorack panel, and rare parts (2 CD4006 and the long pin headers needed to complete the build). THIS IS AN ADVANCED DIY PROJECT AND WILL REQUIRE ASSEMBLY! (The module photo below is of the completed product: not what you will receive!)